Friday, February 12, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians, The Lightning Thief

I was introduced to the Percy Jackson series through my 11 year old niece. She's a huge Harry Potter fan, as is my husband,and she thought he might enjoy this series as well. Well, suffice it to say that I promptly purchased the first book in the series for him, but I ended up getting hooked myself. Although these books aren't exactly in the same league as Harry Potter, they are excellent in and of themselves. I enjoy Greek mythology, and these books don't disappoint. I quickly read the rest of the books in the series, and would love to read more. They combine an interesting story plot with tons of Greek myths, and a hefty dose of action. If you have a child that likes fantasy types of books, they will probably love this series.

We also went as a family this weekend to see the movie which was just released. I have to say that although I enjoyed the movie, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't comparing it to the book the entire time. I was rather disappointed in the scenes that were left out or completely changed from the book. While Harry Potter never fails to amaze me at how close they are to the book, this movie did just the opposite. I still enjoyed the movie, but I wish they had done a better job of keeping it true to the book. All of the kids enjoyed the movie though, so all in all I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment