Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wednesday Ramblings...the future and other stuff.

I've been doing a book study with two wonderful women that I'm truly blessed to have in my life.  We've been reading the book Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson.  We've come to the end of the book, and we've had some wonderful discussions about the book and just about everything else you can imagine.  If you haven't read this book, I recommend it.  Although some of the chapters left me feeling like a complete and utter failure as a wife and mother, I feel like I learned a lot.  It really makes you think about the job that we have been given. 

Last night I was reading another book which I've heard about, but never read for some reason.  I'm just starting Shepherding Your Child's Heart by Ted Tripp, but it looks to be a really good book too.  All of this reading got me thinking.  My daughter is 11.  Our days together, living and learning together are numbered.  Just thinking about the future, say ten years from now, scares me.  I can't imagine life without the pitter patter of little feet, the day to day routine that we have.  Ten years may seem like a long time, but in looking back, the last ten have absolutely flown by.  Where did they go?  I keep thinking to myself that I have plenty of time to become the mom I want to be, to instill in my children the life lessons they need, to change, to become better.  But, when you really think about it, I don't have much time.  None of us do.  Ten years from today I will have a 21 year old daughter, and twin 18 year old sons.  That's shocking to me.  Seriously scary stuff! 

I am the world's biggest procrastinator.  My motto should seriously be "Why put off today what you can put off tomorrow?"  I have wonderful intentions, but have the hardest time following through.  I have this wonderful vision of what I want my children to be, what I want myself and my family to be, but what am I doing to achieve this wonderful vision?  I vow today to start to work on changing my life, and the lives of those around me.  My days are numbered and I want to make them count!  I will have to take this one baby step at a time, but I vow today that I will get there.  I want to cherish these precious gifts from God.  I want to truly enjoy our time together while we have it.  The day is coming (faster than I can handle) when we won't have these days anymore.  I think its really important for all of us to keep that in mind during the day to day humdrum of our normal lives.  Think to yourself, if this the best I can do?  Is this how Jesus would handle this situation?  I need help!  I will be the first to admit that I am a miserable failure.  But, I am a work in progress.  I will continue to pray for God's help in molding me into the wife/mom/friend/woman that He wants me to be.  Do me a favor...pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment