Thursday, November 4, 2010

Unit Studies on the Holidays

Well, whether we're prepared or not, the holidays are officially upon us.  Santa is currently scheduled for his official arrival at shopping malls all across the country.  This year, I plan on doing some unit studies in our homeschool to learn more about the holidays.  Here are some of the products I'm looking at:

  • Homeschool in the Woods the History of Holidays.  If you read my blog, you kn and folding involved in lapbooking.  My kids don't enjoy writing enough to do the notebooking.  These products have a nice mix of everything.  Not at all overwhelming for a lapbook phobicow that we have the New World Explorers product from Homeschool in the Woods.  I simply can't say enough good things about it.  Its well written, illustrated and thought out.  I love doing unit studies, but don't like all the printing like me.  Very simple to implement and use.  Lesson plans are even included along with more activities and projects than you can imagine.  This one is my favorite by far! Especially since its just $18.95 and includes every holiday you can imagine.

  • Live and Learn Press has tons of lapbooks for most of the major holidays.  I own one of the Apologia science lapbooks and have to say that I'm impressed.  The illustrations are great and my kids really enjoy doing them.  However, it does involved lots of printing and folding.  I am a novice at the whole lapbook thing and had quite a bit of trouble figuring out some of the folds.  Maybe they need to have a folding for dummies download available?  These are a bit more expensive, ranging in price from $10 - $21 per e-book.  Keep in mind that these only cover one subject or holiday.  One tip is that you can join their Yahoo group and get some awesome e-books for free.  I was able to download a Thanksgiving e-book there that looks really good.

  • CurrClick - Here you can find anything and everything you're looking for.  All of their products are available for instant download and the prices are very reasonable.  You'll find e-books from many of the companies you're already familiar with.
  • Hand of a Child - Here you'll find tons of great lapbooks for all the holidays.  My only problem with the products I've used is that they require tons and tons of printing.  The graphics are all black and white, and to make them colorful you either have to get the kids to color them, or print them on colored paper.  I have a child that hates to color, so this doesn't work too well.  Other than that though, I have been pleased with what we've purchased.  The cost is a bit higher than some of the others though at around $20 per lapbook. 

These are just a few of the places you can find great products for doing a holiday unit study.  If you really want to get ambitious, you could always make your own.  Try doing a Google search for Holiday Unit Studies and you'll be amazed at all the possibilities.  Me, I'm not that ambitious...

No comments:

Post a Comment