Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday - Working from Home

I know many of us homeschooling families struggle with finances.  We're certainly no exception.  I would however like to encourage you to try to think outside the box when it comes to making some extra money.  Working from home is a wonderful way to help out with the family finances while still allowing you to teach your children at home.  Here are some of the things that moms I know are doing:

  • Watch children during after school hours.
  • Clean houses.
  • Web design.
  • Transcription services.
  • Sell a homemade product like soap, clothing or bows.
  • Run an embroidery business.
  • Pet sit.
  • Sit with elderly.
  • Start your own home based  business like Usborne, Avon, Discovery Toys or Creative Memories.

I personally have operated a hair accessory business from home since I quit working when my twin boys were born.  I used to go at it full time, but at the end of last year I shut down my Ebay store, along with my website.  It just got to be way too time consuming.  Now I offer my bows only through this blog, or to my existing customers.  This allows me to have more control over the incoming orders so that the business doesn't become overwhelming.  Here's my work space, messy though it is.

 
Working from home does take work.  There are no easy ways to make money.  But, with some dedication and creativity, you can certainly make enough money to help out with groceries, curriculum purchases, and so much more.  The best piece of advice I can offer though is to find something you truly enjoy doing.  Then it won't seem as much like work for you.

For more great Works for Me Wednesday tips, stop by We Are That Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment