Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seasons

Well, yesterday was the first official day of fall.  It sure didn't feel like fall around here though.  Nothing like a little 95 degree heat to make you think fall!  I don't know about you, but I am so ready for those wonderful cool, crisp autumn days.  Falling leaves, colorful foliage, baking, long walks in the woods...  Fall is my most favorite time of the year.


My kids are busy thinking about the huge leaf piles daddy will make from all the leaves that fall into our back yard.  They love jumping in them and burying themselves under them.  They're planning out their Halloween costumes and already thinking about what they want for Christmas. 

The seasons of the year bring wonderful changes to the temperatures, the trees, and everything around us.  I feel like the seasons affect my moods a bit too.  Summer days tend to make me lazy, spring gives me hope, fall makes me feel warm and cozy, and winter tends to be a bit dreary.  The earth has its seasons, but so do we as homeschoolers.  I think one of the hardest things for a new homeschooler to do is trust in themselves and relax.  I speak from experience as one of those moms who dreamed of homeschooling, tried it out, and quickly threw in the towel.  Nobody told me how truly hard it is!  I stressed over each and every detail.  Was she learning enough, were we covering everything, doing enough, and so many other things.  I'm sure we've all been there.  I'm just lucky that I was able to go back to homeschooling.  At that point, it was totally different.  Things always seem to be greener on the other side of the fence.  I thought putting my daughter in school was the answer.  Obviously, it wasn't.  Now, having been on both sides of the proverbial fence, I have a unique perspective.  Both are hard and neither is perfect.  If we have a bad day, or even a bad week, I simply remind myself that I have 365 days to complete those 180 days of required instruction.  That never fails to put everything back into perspective.  So, don't stress and don't worry.  Find a homeschooling mom who's been there and talk to her.  We all have bad days.  When the season of your homeschool get tough or stressful, keep in mind that spring will come and you will once again feel energized and renewed.


No comments:

Post a Comment