Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nature Club

Once again, we had a wonderful hike today for our monthly Nature Club meeting. This time we visited Elsie Holmes Nature Park. This was my first visit, but I can assure you it won't be my last. The park is free, and includes 66 acres of trails of varying lengths and difficulties. There are rock formations, the Chickamauga Creek to explore, and tons of native plants and trees. The paths are well marked and you can pick up a map at the start of the trail. The park also includes a covered, screened in pavilion, restrooms, picnic tables, and some play equipment for the kids.



It was cold, but warmed up quickly once we reached the creek. The only wildlife we saw was one brave hawk, and our respective children. I say the hawk was brave, because it takes a lot of gumption to go anywhere near that number of children howling like coyotes at the top of their lungs! My kids and I came home with tons of cool rocks, fungus, and nuts to further study. We did all bring our nature journals, but the kids never stop long enough to get anything done. They seem to simply enjoy being together in the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment