Friday, June 3, 2011

Week in Review - Ramblings

Can I just say how much I don't like hot weather? I am more of a Spring and Fall kinda gal. This 90 degree weather is killing me! My poor air conditioner is running and running and never seems to manage to keep the house very cool. The only time it is finally able to catch up is overnight. Is it asking too much to keep the house 78? I really don't think so!

You know those adorable baby mockingbirds in my front yard that I posted about a few days ago? Well, they're dead. At least I assume they are since they are no where to be found and their nest is now destroyed and hanging sideways in the tree. I'm pretty sure I know what happened. Blame it on my daughter's evil cat, Charlie. Thankfully, I was spared from finding dead babies strewn about the yard. It breaks my heart though. Speaking of things that break my heart...today we were heading into town and saw a small box turtle in the middle of the road. Naturally, I turned around and went to save it. Just as I got out of the car and was waiting on the road to clear so I could get it, a guy decides to have some fun and run it over in front of us. He had to swerve about 2-3 feet into oncoming traffic to hit the little turtle. I had to watch that poor defenseless creature get run over right in front of me. My kids all saw it as well. What I want to know is why? Why are people so cruel and evil sometimes? It just makes me sick. This is why I no longer work with wildlife. Its heartbreaking to see what my fellow man does to creatures that God created just as sure as He created us. Thankfully, we came across another turtle on the same road and this time I was able to save it.

On the school front we've been taking a break from normal studies. We've finished our required 180 days, so we're just going to be finishing up some of the books over the Summer. I really like the idea of year round learning, but have problems putting the idea into practice. Its so much easier to sleep late, vegetate and spend our afternoons in the pool. I do have plans to work on grammar and writing with Haley, as well as math. We have some fun unit studies that we never seem to find the time to use as well.

Next week we have Vacation Bible School, the week after is Haley's birthday party and subsequent sleepover. Hard to believe she's turning 11. Next will be the boy's pirate party in July. Fun, fun fun!

I recently heard that our local school system is extending the Summer break this year in order to rebuild and repair the schools destroyed by the recent tornado. They will have an extra month almost, and won't be going back until early September. You should hear some of the comments my non-homeschooling moms are saying. They are freaking out. How sad that the thought of spending an extra month with their kids upsets them so. I love spending time with my kids. I choose to spend each and every day with my kids. Packing them off to school each and every day most of the year is just something I never want to do again. How is it that some moms can't stand the thought of an extra month? I just can't relate.

How was your week? How's your Summer going.

No comments:

Post a Comment